You are invited to apply for the Summer 2016 Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program at National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). The program is co-sponsored by NIST and the National Science Foundation, federal agencies committed to attracting and training future generations of scientists and engineers.
SURF students work for 11 weeks, contributing to an ongoing research project under the guidance of a NIST scientist or engineer. SURF researchers receive a $5,500 stipend, housing and travel allotments. Two locations are available: Gaithersburg, Maryland and Boulder, Colorado.
Applications must be submitted to the FURI office, not directly to NIST-SURF.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering Career Center will provide NIST-SURF applicants one-on-one guidance with résumés and application materials to make them competitive at the highest levels. Make an appointment by calling . Students who identify themselves as a NIST-SURF applicant will get priority scheduling with either Joyce Donahue, master career counselor, or Vicki Fox, associate director.
Students can contact the FURI office at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with the application process and the personal statement. Students are encouraged to seek advising from the Fulton Engineering Career Center and the FURI Office prior to submitting their application.
May 16–July 29, 2016
Visit the NIST-SURF-Boulder program page
The NIST SURF Boulder application will be submitted in two parts. Initial applications are due Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at noon. Applications will be reviewed and selected students will be invited to submit the remaining application documents to the FURI office.
How to apply:
- Explore the NIST SURF-Boulder website for research opportunities.
- Review the program eligibility requirements.
- Submit your application to the FURI office by noon on Wednesday, January 20, 2016.
- Submit NIST-SURF Boulder Application Part 1.
- Have your résumé available for upload with the online application.
- Be prepared to explain why you are interested in NIST-SURF Boulder and how the experience will enhance your career goals.
If approved, you will be directed submit the remaining documents by noon on Friday, February 5, 2016.
- Application Checklist.
- Student Application Form.
- Transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable).
- Personal statement (see guidance about “What should be on my personal statement?” in the FAQs.
- Current résumé.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or permanent legal residence; e.g., copy of birth certificate, passport, or green card.
- Verification that student will arrive at NIST with health coverage; e.g., copy of health insurance card.
ASU will submit applicant documents to NIST-SURF. Applications will be evaluated by NIST-SURF on GPA (grade point average) in relevant courses, career goals, activities, honors and awards, letters of reference, commitment of the student to working in a laboratory environment, prior research experience and interest in pursuing graduate school.
NIST-SURF Gaithersburg (Washington, D.C. area)
May 23 – August 5, 2016
Visit the NIST-SURF-Gaithersburg program page
Applications for NIST-SURF Gaithersburg are being accepted until noon on Friday, February 5, 2016. Students can apply to both the Boulder and Gaithersburg locations. Apply to NIST SURF Gaithersburg.