Funded by the National Science Foundation, the Innovative Postdoctoral Entrepreneurial Research Fellowship (I-PERF) recruits, trains, mentors, matches and funds early-career Science and Engineering doctoral degree recipients to participate in innovative entrepreneurial activities. Join AirSpeQ and help improve air pollution monitoring. Electrical and mechanical engineering postdocs are preferred.
Aerodyne Microsystems is an early-stage startup based in Berkeley, California, that is commercializing a MEMS-based aerosol pollution monitor for high-volume consumer markets.
The technology was developed at the University of California at Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and relies upon principles from a range of scientific disciplines including nanotechnology, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, acoustic resonators/piezoelectrics and RFIC/analog circuit design. A larger proportion of tasks would emphasize electrical engineering background.
Depending on qualifications, the Postdoctoral Fellowship would encompass one or more of a number of cross-domain research activities including:
- Finite element, coupled-field simulations of aerosol/air dynamics and thermal fields in microchannels at low Reynolds numbers
- Experimental investigations into the dynamics of airborne particulate and their interactions with thermophoretic and viscous forces
- Piezoelectric FBAR resonator characterization when operating in exposed environmental conditions
- Design and fabrication of air-microfluidic micro-channels and thermophoretic heaters
- Analog/RF and PMIC circuit design and associated embedded firmware and hardware
- Monitor fabrication and packaging
As an entrepreneurial research fellowship, this position will also allow the candidate who is selected to be exposed to and learn more about the sales and marketing sides of technology by attending and participating in industry symposia and trade shows.
Background in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, applied physics, chemical engineering or a related field and with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- CFD simulation (e.g. COMSOL or ANSYS Fluent)
- MEMS/nanotechnology design and fabrication
- Chemical/aerosol sensors
- Mechanical design and prototyping of products
- Design and execution of lab experiments
- Electronic circuit design
If interested email firstname.lastname@example.org