Take time to reflect — Joyce’s Career Tip of the Week
Welcome back to campus and to the spring 2017 semester!
A new year and a new semester create the perfect time for a fresh start. One way to maximize the opportunities of a new beginning is to take the time to reflect.
Before the days and weeks get crazy with all you’ll have to do, sit back and ask yourself a few questions — the kind that require some serious introspection. This is a time to check with your internal compass and ensure that you are heading to where you want to be.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- How are things progressing?
- Are you taking full advantage of opportunities for learning — both inside and out of the classroom?
- Are you doing the things that are getting you closer to achieving your own personal goals?
- What are those goals?
- Have they changed since you began college?
- When you think about your future, what do you see?
- Does this picture align with your beliefs and values?
- Are you becoming the person you want to be?
- What will it take to get you from who you are now to who you want to be?
Plans and goals can change with new experiences, knowledge and discoveries. The important thing is to be intentional, and remember that you are the one who is making decisions and setting the course.
All of us at the Fulton Schools Career Center wish you the best of everything in 2017 and look forward to working with you.
Joyce Donahue is a career counselor in the Fulton Schools Career Center. She is a nationally certified career counselor and has “Master Career Counselor” membership status in the National Career Development Association.